5-day challenge: 15 minutes to make a massive difference to those wired kids
Time & Location
About the Event
Is your lighting harming your kids? In this focused, practical training series you will learn 5 proven, powerful ways to transform their mood, memory and visual health in just 15 minutes per day
Are you concerned about the growing number of kids who seem low and withdrawn - or struggle to focus and manage their anger without flaring up? Are you worried about their weight and how many of them need to wear glasses at such a young age?
Do you have a sense that screen time and the amount of time they spend indoors could be part of the problem?
And are you ready to do something about it?
If so, read on!
My name is Dr Shelley James and I’m a proud godmother and aunty to some remarkable young people. I am also a Visiting Lecturer at the Royal College of Art and Artist in Residence at the Bristol Eye Hospital. Ialso have direct experience of managing extreme photosensitivity following a serious head injury. I’ve become increasingly concerned about the impact of screens and artificial lighting on these precious growing brains and excited by emerging research into simple techniques and brilliant new technologies that have the potential to transform these young lives. I’m on a mission to share those with you.
In this five-day intensive training, you will learn simple, proven and powerful techniques to
- set their fragile body clock so they get the vital deep sleep they need to dream, learn and grow
- Reduce the harmful glare and glow that burns out the delicate light-sensing tissue at the back of the eye to reduce the likelihood of needing glasses
- Cut out the harmful flicker that comes from LED’s as well as screens - and keeps their brains in a punishing state of high alert so that they can focus and relax
- Choose lighting for different activities with confidence so that they can work, rest and play
- Get the right amount of sunlight at the right time of day to trigger the powerful growth hormones that are responsible for much of the myopia pandemic - and improve their immune response, bone density and motor skills - and have fun!
How it works…
Every day for five days, starting Monday 27th of July, I will host a live 15 minute zoom call.
Because I know how busy you are - and you are joining us from all over the world! I’ll run the session twice - once at 11am UK time and again at 7pm UK time (that’s 6am and 2pm Eastern). And in case you miss that, I’ll post the recording to a special section of the website too.
We will cover a specific topic every day and you’ll receive a pdf worksheet with a summary and actions for the day.
Day 1/ Light Sleeper Leanne
Light and the day / night cycle - what it is, how it works in kids and why it is so vital
Tips for scheduling and light
Worksheet - check list of light sources and schedules
Day 2/ Flicker Fiend Freddy
Ficker in led lamps and conditions including ADHD. Autism and migraine - what it is, how it works in kids and why it matters
Tips for spotting flicker and what to do about it
Worksheet - check list of light sources and flicker
Day 3/ Killer Contrast Kate
Glare and glow and the visual system - how it works, why it matters
Tips for spotting and managing excessive contrast
Worksheet - check list and diagrams on screen and light levels/position
Day 4/ Dopamine Danny
Light levels in different sources - sunlight artificial light, screens - the vital role in myopia prevention and management, concerns about UV and solutions for management
Tips for getting outside, optimal times of the day for greatest benefit
Worksheet - schedule of optimum times of the day
Day 5/ Blues Brothers Barry
Wavelengths in different artificial light sources - why it matters
Tips for choosing lamps and fittings, screen settings and blue light filters
Worksheet - light sources for different activities and shopping guide
Does that sound good?
Please register for your tickets and I'll be right in touch with the details!
- Day 1, Monday 27th July, 11am£0£00£0
- Day 2, Tuesday 28th July, 11am£0£00£0
- Day 3, Weds 29th July, 11am£0£00£0
- Day 4, Thurs 30th July, 11am£0£00£0
- Day 5, Friday 31st July, 11am£0£00£0